Friday, April 10, 2009

Promise...

I think these are lily bulbs, just coming up.

And these are my daffodils - a wee bit taller than last week.

My dahlia is growing. I overwintered the corm (or tuber) by wrapping it loosely in newspaper and keeping it in the garage. I am so pleased that it survived.


These Easter bunnies are gifts for the grandbabies. The two youngest are eleven weeks and six weeks.

Just like the promise of Spring bulbs coming to fruition, the babies in our family hold the promise of our future.

And, so you don't think I've forgotten the older grandchildren; the boys are getting soccer balls and shin pads. The younger children (aged 1, 2, and 3) I've bought finger paints and recycled paper to smear to their heart's content. My eldest granddaughter will receive real artist's tubes of paint with dollar store brushes.

Of course, I've sprinkled chocolate eggs into each gift bag - even the babies. Just a few, since I know the Easter Bunny will be visiting......

Update on Simon - he left the hospital on his birthday, later on in the afternoon. He's on the mend and I will be very happy to spend Easter and celebrate his birthday tomorrow!

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter and a fun weekend.



11 comments:

Allie said...

Happy Easter!

How wonderful that your plant overwintered so well! It must be like seeing an old friend.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh you are such a good grandmother!!!! All of the grands will LOVE their Easter gifts...

I know you love seeing your spring bulbs growing...

We had a tornado warning all around us today... We got lucky--better than other areas in TN. Scary though!!!!

Happy Easter to you and yours.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Oh..I am glad that Simon is doing better. Kids can get so sick so fast. Your presents for the grandkids are perfect. I can't wait till I am a grandma..Happy Easter..Michelle

Ruth said...

Easter baskets are such fun for children. I miss making them, but none of us need the candy now. I still like to colour a few eggs. Have a wonderful weekend with your family.

Wendy said...

Hi Allie, I just love this dahlia. It grows to be taller than I am. So an old friend, to be sure!

Hi Betsy, grandmothering is the very best!! I love shopping for all the grandkids. Yikes, how scary! A tornado warning! I'm glad you're o.k.

Hi Michelle, oh, it's so much fun being a grandmother. You'll love it, when the time comes. Thanks for your good wishes re Simon. Kids get sick fast and then they bounce back too!

Hi Ruth, I like colouring eggs too, but nobody else seems to be doing this any more. They hide chocolate eggs instead.

Last year I made proper Easter baskets, complete with that yukky fake "grass" they sell to line the baskets. It made such a mess! I ended up taking the "grass" out of the baskets for the littlest children, so they wouldn't put it in their mouths, or scatter it all over.
I don't buy much chocolate. The kids get enough from the Easter bunny and other relatives who like to buy chocolate. I always go for spring toys, sometimes clothes (but not often) and this year it was more craft stuff (the art supplies)and the soccer balls too. It's fun!!

Beverly said...

Happy Easter, dear friend...

white_lilly said...

Hi Wendy! you must be a gifted gardener because you always have such beautiful plants and your grand babies will be thrilled with their gifts.
Have a lovely time with them
x0x0x0

beckie said...

Wendy, spring is coming to you! It's such a miracle to see plants come back after the harsh winter. Love that your grandchildren will all have Easter treats from you(or the Bunny?) Hope your Easter is a Happy one!

naturewitch said...

Hi Wendy
Lovely to see your bulbs emerging. In no time you'l have lovely spring flowers to enjoy.
We're doing soccer boots and shin guards for the children this Easter, but the Easter Bunny still managed to sneak quite a bit of chocolate in. xx

Wendy said...

Hi Bev, happy easter to you, too!

Hi White Lily, thanks for the compliments. I do love gardening. Can't wait to get my hands in the real garden!

Hi Becky, oh the grandkids get easter treats at their own homes from the easter bunny. We celebrated yesterday (saturday) and I gave out my gifts. We all had a good time. Even the babies (who, incidentally slept through most of it!)

Hi Nature witch, so you're into soccer too! Good time of year here for soccer equipment. But it's autumn where you are - do your children play soccer in fall and winter?

Q said...

Dear Wendy,
Happy Easter. Thinking of you and your darling Grand children.
Many hugs,
Sherry