Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer Solstice

Happy, Happy,

Summer!!! Flowers are in full bloom. Days are long. Sun is shining between the rainclouds. BBQ's are cooking.

I had the most splendid day! Spent the morning in the garden. It was rather gloomy and cloudy; even rained a tiny bit, but by afternoon the clouds parted and the sun shone!

I made a cup of tea, and walked around my yard, thanking the flowers, birds, bees and Mother Earth for all of her gifts. This Solstice weekend was to be a "heal our planet" weekend, whereby each person would choose their own way of sending healing energy around the globe.

Later in the afternoon, after Hubby's nap, we sat quietly outside, taking in the sights and sounds of this glorious summer day. Hubby had his book, but I was watching. There is a nest of red-capped chickadees in our hedge and I was wondering when the babies would be leaving their nests to learn how to fly. I did not want to miss this.

I had been so careful not to disturb their nest by being curious. Oh, it was hard. I did so want to peek inside and take pics for this blog. But one other year, I frightened a bird away. She abandoned her nest and I've felt badly ever since.

Luck must have been shining down on us this first day of summer, for it wasn't long before I heard baby "cheeps". At first I couldn't distinguish these sounds from other birds, but soon pinpointed their location as coming from the hedge. Next I saw some fluttery movements within the hedge. Hmmm, this couldn't possibly be adult birds. They usually fly right out of the hedge, not within.

I watched and waited some more. They must have been getting the hang of things, for they started venturing outside of the hedge and on to the lawn, the nearby trees, and the other hedges. Fascinated, we continued to watch those tiny fledglings hopping from hedge to hedge as they tested their wings. One little bird bravely flew to the oak tree. It clung to the trunk in fear, afraid to let go. The mother flew to a branch and then to the ground to encourage Junior, but he just flapped his wings and dug in deeper. Then a wiley chipmunk ran up the tree towards Baby. That was the "push" Baby needed to fly away.

Father's Day, Summer Solstice, and baby birds leaving the nest. It was a glorious day! I hope you all had a nice day too!

24 comments:

Shammickite said...

I had TessaDog for the weekend and on Saturday it simply poured with rain so we had to stay indoors almost all day.... very hard for doodle with mega-bounce.
But Sunday was sunny and warm and we went for a long walk in the forest.
Happy Summer Solstice.... may you and hubby enjoy many more.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Congrats, Wendy... Looks like a perfect Summer Solstice for you... Seeing the birdies fledge had to be the ultimate!!!! I'm so envious!!!!

Happy Father's Day!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

What a lovely day you had Wendy. I can't think of a better way to spend the day than watching fledglings learning to fly. The granddaughers and I have a tradition of watching the sun set on Summer Soltice.

Rose said...

Sounds like a beautiful day! I think you must have sent lots of healing energy to our planet.

We had a quiet day, but I spent part of the evening visiting my Dad for Father's Day and getting a tour of his enormous vegetable garden. Of course, I couldn't go home empty-handed: snap peas and some flower seedlings he had grown found their way into my car:)

Grammy said...

Hi Wendy, what an awesome day you had. I am so glad you and hubby got to share that special event. Happy summer solstices to you.
Sending love and light & many hugs.

Rambling Woods said...

You know I love bird stories and this was so sweet...sigh nature and the first day of summer. Happy Father's Day to your hubby Wendy and thank you for all the nice comments on my blog during my Mother's illness...

Maggie May said...

I enjoyed my day too, but nothing as spectacular happened in our garden as it did in yours with the baby birds. Hope they all survive.

Your garden does look lovely. I can't believe the days will start to get shorter now :-(

Unknown said...

The potted plant, those trees in the background...they look so lovely. How wonderful to see fledgelings fly. Mine must've learnt to fly when I was away in April. Before I left, there were two nesting pairs. I tell myself...surely, there'll be a next time?!
Also loved reading about the healing of our planet. Some of that positive energy must've come my way too! It's a feel-good kind of thought....!

mel said...

What pure magic!! I can't think of a more lovely affirmation that the Earth loves us than to witness a baby bird learning to fly!!

I love that your day was spent in quiet reflection....

A beautiful post - thank you for sharing!

Abba's Girl said...

Beautiful pictures....

Cheryl said...

Hi Wendy....that is my sort of day....sounds absolutely perfect. If anyone can hold my interest with a story it is you. I just love your writing......

Celia said...

Hi Wendy, looks like a perfect day there. Thanks for the bird story, I too am afraid to pry about the nests and driving the parents off.

beckie said...

Wendy, waht a delightful day you had. I love to watch bay birds trying tolearn to fly. Robins are what I notice most here and they look so funny with their spiked 'hair'. :) I'm sure you sent many good vibes to Mother Nature while enjoying all she has to offer.

The heat here was oppressive, but the garnddaughters and I managed a garden tour and took lots of pictures.

I love your planter-so cute!

Ruth said...

Summer solstice brought warm weather with a bang, and what a beautiful day it was. I am hoping to attract nesting Chickadees to my yard sometime. I have a lot of them at my feeders.

JeanMac said...

Such a lovely post, Wendy. Glad you got to see the little ones.

gma said...

What a beautiful and good luck sign to seeing the little birds take flight this day.

Q said...

Dearest Wendy,
Happy Summer dear friend.
Your time spent with the baby birds and hubby sounded fantastic. I love to garden in the rain.....
May each day of summer be a day of joy for you.
Sending blessings for our dear Mother Earth.
Namaste,
Sherry.

Anonymous said...

How are you Wendy? Once again, I am sure I left a comment and then I find that I did not. Please know that I am thinking of you and your dear husband. This was such a lovely post. I have been flooded with so much healing white light these past few days. I just want to send it back to you with all of the positive thoughts and images that I can imagine. I hope that the approaching weekend finds you in a very good place.

XO
Sue.

Cloudhands said...

I hope it's better late than never. I too loved your wonderful reflections of your Summer Solstice. The chance to see baby birds on their maiden flight is a metaphor for so many aspects of life. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

You are just awesome.

Hugs.

Beverly said...

it is hot here in my town, 98 degrees in the shade.
Glad to be able to read your posts...pretty flowers.

Wendy said...

Hi Shammickite, oh I hate it when it rains and you want to go out, especially with a dog, or with family. Glad you enjoyed Sunday.

Hi Betsy, well your bluebirds made me envious! Thanks for stopping by. Happy summer solstice and father's day to you.

Hi Jen, that's a nice tradition. I'd like to start a tradition with my grands too. Good idea.

Wendy said...

Oh Rose, what a beautiful day! I am so glad you could visit your Dad. It sounds like he must be on the road to healing if he has a vegetable garden. Hmmm, I wonder how those sneaky veggies & seedlings found your car? LOL!

Hi Grammy ,love and light back at ya.

Hi Michelle - sending you good wishes and healing light, especially for your Mom. Thank you for your kind words too.

Wendy said...

Hi Maggie May - well we just won't go into shorter days, yet. Happy summer to you!

Hi Kanak, thank you for your kind words. Oh, there will always be a next time (for baby birds). We had robins build nests in the front evergreen tree. I watched them through our living room window. Then one day they were gone. I don't know if a cat got to them or.....? I felt so let down and disappointed, and thought like you - will there be a next time? Yes!

Hi Mel and thank you! I was over the moon that we got to watch those birds learning how to fly! It really was an affirmation and gave me hope for the future.
Hugs