Saturday, May 10, 2008

First Hummingbird of the Season


Today I saw my first hummingbird of the season! I always hang my feeders up early - this year it was in mid-April even though we were still knee-deep in snow.
I just wanted to make sure the little critters had something to drink on their journey.
Had a strange day, hormone-wise, I'd say. Tried to get a hair appointment, but the receptionist kept putting me on hold, so I finally gave up.
Put the casserole in the oven, set the temp. at 300 and 15 minutes later, wondered why nothing was happening. I'd forgotten to push the "start" button.
Opened the fridge, took out the milk pitcher and walked over the the plants on the windowsill. No, I did not water them - but it was close.
My head felt spacey and weird, so I lay down outside on my lounge chair for a little rest. Dozed away the afternoon and when I finally got up, realized that I'd missed my granddaughter's synchro-swim meet!
Hubby and I were sitting at the table eating my cooked (very well cooked) casserole, and suddenly I looked up to see a ruby-throated hummingbird at the bird feeder. It was such a nice surprise. Lifted my spirits immediately. As if this little guy (or girl, I can't tell the difference) was telling me that it was o.k. Even though the day had started out in a strange way, it was going to end nicely.

8 comments:

kenju said...

Oops! Don't we all have days like that? I know I do.

Thanks for the visit and comment. I'll be back.

beckie said...

What a great picture! At least you knew you were being spacey. It's when you don't you're in trouble.

denverdoc said...

Bad brain days happen. And then a hummingbird comes to visit!

Beverly said...

Oh my, that's quite a day. I'm glad you had a good ending to it.

Cheryl said...

Hi kindred spirit, they are so my days.....you made me laugh.
The hummingbird is so beautiful, it moves me beyond words to see something so exquisite. Thank you so much for sharing and may your day be as bright as you have just made mine.
Take care.

Wendy said...

Hey Kenju - glad to hear others have days like that too!

Hmm, Beckie - never thought of that. I always know when I'm spacey (I really really hope I know).

Hi Judy and Beverly - glad you stopped by. Yes, isn't that hummer a little jewel?

Oh Cheryl - thanks for your kind words. Yes, I find hummers magical. In the book of "animal wisdom" or something, they say hummingbirds represent Joy.

Mary said...

Wendy, it's a BOY! Male ruby-throated hummingbird. Wonderful photo and they do lift spirits...

Wendy said...

A boy? How do you know? Aren't there any girl ruby-throated hummers?