Thursday, May 1, 2008

May 1 - Beltane





The ancient Celtic festival of Beltane.

A celebration of spring, fertility, passion and lust.
Dancing 'round the Maypole.

Well, it's too cold for dancing outside in this part of the world. Our warm summer-like week has given way to cooler spring weather.

Fertility? I think not.
Passion? Packed away in the past.
Lust? Long-lost.


Spring? Most definitely! I can certainly do spring. Spend some time in my garden. Daffodils and tulips are in full swing now. Liliac flower buds are still curled up tightly, hiding under their leaves. Won't be long now.


Bleeding heart is up. Not in bloom yet, but up and waiting for warm sunshine to awaken it. Birds building nests. Chipmunks skittering across my back deck, looking for food.


So May 1st and Spring - yes! Here I come!








6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Happy May Day to you Wendy....I just knew you would have a good post. You are a pleasure to visit.

JeanMac said...

Spring was a long time coming this year.

Wendy said...

Thank you Cheryl. I loved your Mayday post too!
Oh yes, Jeanmac - spring was a looooong time coming.

Anonymous said...

I'll second Cheryl's comment--I know you're wishing for warmer weather but, MAN. It's 80 degrees and high humidity today--cool sounds good right about now!

Wendy said...

Thanks Amy, tell you what - I'll send you some cool and you send me some hot? Sound good?

beckie said...

Wendy, so glad you posted the May Pole dance! Some friends and I were talking about how we used to do that in school and make May baskets to hand on peoples door knobs. My granddaughters looked at me like I'd lost it when I told them about it. I guess we made our own fun back then and didn't rely on TV, etc. Happy May to you!