Sunday, May 18, 2008

I'll Tell you a Story

I've been tagged by Cheryl at My Wildlife Sanctuary. Cheryl is a nature-lover; a kindred spirit with her love and respect for all of nature's gifts. Her garden is a magical place where I can just imagine a pixie or gnome peeking out from behind a toadstool when nobody is looking. Cheryl willingly shares her vivid photographs with all of us. Each bee or butterfly is special; each bloom or tree a friend. I look forward to reading her entries each day.

The rules of this meme are:
1. Pick up the nearest book set in a foreign country.

2. Open to page 123.

3. Find the 5th sentence.

4. Post the next 3 sentences.

5. Tag 5 people and acknowledge who tagged you.

I wondered just how spontaneous this meme should be. Just pick up any book? The nearest book? Ah - the nearest book to me was called "Gnomes and Gardens". Oh good, it looks like it's set in Europe. The front cover shows a little gnome man and his little gnome wife in their tall pointed caps. I turned to look at where the book was published.
Oh no - right here in Canada. That's a little unusual, most of the books I have are printed in the U.S.A. Well, maybe the gnomes can be running around in European gardens, like the Black Forest or somewhere exotic. Or, maybe gnomeland is an imaginary land! Ha - that might work!!
Turn to page 123.
Darn - there is no page 123. Too bad, I can't get away with it then.

The rest of the books on this particular bookshelf (we have several) were printed and set in the U.S.A. Well, I don't live there, so that could be foreign.

After a bit of thought, I decided to go down the basement and find one of my favourite childhood books. I came across this one (above) written by Enid Blyton - my favourite author. It's called I'll Tell You A Story. The copy you see in the pic above was published many years ago. I'm not sure of the date as the front page is missing. But my mother read it to me when I was a small child, so it's at least 5o some odd years old.
Some of the pages are held together with scotch tape - a well used and loved book.
O.K. - here goes - Page 123:
....in the twinkling of an eye, all the pixies became silent and looked at Belinda in the greatest surprise and alarm. They did not know who she....

Now on to tagging people:
1)Judy at Grand Life is a new blogger friend. Her blog is family oriented, as she has 6 children and 11 grandkids. Love shines all through her posts. Her "Mother's Day Over 80 Years" post is a special one.

2) Judy (femail doc) at Menopause Moments, always has a story to make me laugh. She draws upon a wealth of experience, both professionally and personally, and doesn't mind sharing in the least.

3) Jeanmac at a Mountain Too High is a Carer or Caregiver. She lives in Canada and blogs about the challenges of daily life. She is honest and down-to-earth in her posts - some of them bringing a tear to my eye and other ones making me chuckle.

4) Mary at Mom 2 my 2 goodboys - that says it all. By her own words her family is her pride and joy. She posts mainly about her boys (her good boys), but also about neighbourhood news or mothering issues. Mary is a very supportive person, going out of her way to help and look out for others, especially those in need. Happiness shines all through her blog.

5) Last but not least - Bev at Lacouchee Kid. Lacouchee is a small town in Florida. Bev is grandma to a sweet little girl named Ella. Bev's blog is also rich with family oriented stories. Bev is busy in the community with fund-raisers and looking after the elderly and lonely. I'd certainly love to have her as my neighbour. As a matter of fact - I'd love to have all of you as my neighbours!

10 comments:

Beverly said...

Thanks. I think I can do that one. I know just the book...I think.

Grand Life said...

Thanks so much for "tagging" me. I think I've only been tagged once before just as I started blogging and didn't have a clue what to do. So I'm happy to be a little more savy (hopefully) now. Well, give me a minute and I'll give it a shot. Got to find the book.
Have a great week. Judy

Grand Life said...

I forgot to thank you for your kind words about my blog. I had actually been so anxious to get started on my "tag" that I didn't finish reading your post until my second go-around. I appreciate your kind thoughts.
Judy

mj said...

Wow! Thanks you for such kind words! I am very appreciative of them.
I love being tagged. Hmmmmm....I will have to think about the book set in a foreign country. Give me a little time....I will post soon.
Mary~

Cheryl said...

Lovely post Wendy......I love your aged book. Oh how it took me back to my childhood and my Mum reading me stories.
I am familiar with Judy and Grand Life and it is indeed a wonderful blog. I shall be checking out the rest.
Lovely post.

30 years from Darling said...

Followed you over from Judy's.
Great blog. I'm a 43 year old mother of 2, wife to 1, daughter etc ...
My husband has post polio syndrome and almost died last year from respiratory failure. I'll get lost in the details so I'll stop now.

My mom has some form of dementia.

Both kids have tourette's and OCD ..although, those are mostly side issues and actually cause for most of the jokes in our house. ("Samuel! Stop making that noise!" "Mom! have you ever heard of tourette's syndrome? get over it!"
"duh!")

So, I guess I qualify as a caregiver. (I say that, because my docs see me as a patient, but caregiving takes far more out of me than being a patient does)

Domestic Adventuress said...

LOL at the peppered french toast! But we serve it with tomato sauce in our house, so it would have been fine!

And I've tagged you... :)

Anonymous said...

A small town in Florida, huh? Sounds suspiciously similar to my own location. Maybe she and I are neighbors--I'm going to go visit her now.

denverdoc said...

Thanks for the compliments with the tag!

So the first book I pulled off the shelf was "The Kitchen God's Wife." The 3 sentences to be posted were stupid, then I realized that book was set in America.

Then I grabbed Bel Canto, and the sentences made no sense out of context. After that, All Quiet on the Western Front; heavens, the sentences were gruesome.

I give, I thought this would result in some magical prophecy out of a random book, but I could be pulling books off the shelves all night looking for hidden wisdom! No spontaneity here.

Wendy said...

Yikes - I've been in my garden and away from the computer and so much is happening! Good luck with the tags everyone. I'll be sure to drop in and read everyone's.
Judy - it doesn't have to be profound or even make sense. I actually cheated a bit and read from line 4 rather than line 5 - made more sense that way, since I had chosen a childrens' book and really wanted everyone to know what was going on.

30-years-from Darling: I've just been over at your blog. You do seem to have your hands full. Caregiver is the right word for it. I also have a Tourette's son. Luckily, he's outgrown most of the symptoms and only ticks when he's really tired or stressed.